1 caused by or suggestive of psychological compulsion; "compulsive drinking"
2 strongly motivated to succeed [syn: determined, driven] n : a person with a compulsive disposition; someone who feels compelled to do certain things
- with an uncontrolled need to do things, obsessive
- Feminine plural form of compulsivo
Compulsion can refer to, among other things:
- Compulsion (book), a 1956 novel, by American author Meyer Levin, about the Leopold and Loeb case.
- Compulsion (novel), a 2001 novel, by British author Shaun Hutson
- Compulsion (film), a 1959 film based on Levin's book.
- Compulsive behavior, a psychological condition
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD, a mental disorder
- Compulsion (band), a punk group active in the mid-'90s
- Compulsory education
- Compulsory voting
- Compulsion, a 1989 song originally written and recorded by Joe Crow and released as a single by Martin Gore on his Counterfeit e.p. album in 1989.
accordant, anal, automatic, blind, bourgeois, coactive, coercive, compelling, compulsatory, compulsory, concordant, conditioned, conformist, constrained, constraining, conventional, corresponding, driving, forced, forceful, formalistic, gripping, harmonious, holding, impelling, imperative, imperious, impulsive, in accord, in keeping, in line, in step, instinctive, involuntary, irresistible, kosher, mechanical, obsessing, obsessional, obsessive, orthodox, overwhelming, pedantic, plastic, possessing, precisianistic, preoccupying, pressing, reflex, reflexive, restraining, square, straight, stuffy, traditionalist, unconscious, unintentional, unthinking, unwilled, unwilling, unwitting, uptight, urgent